1. Myth: Abortion is only legal through the first trimester.
FACT: Due to the radical scope of Roe v.
and Doe v. Bolton, abortion
is now legal through all 9 months of pregnancy.
FACT: Over 77,000 abortions take place
year in the United States
after the 16th week of pregnancy.
2. Myth: Women really need abortion for health reasons.
FACT: An Alan Guttmacher Institute
that nearly one half of women obtaining abortions said they used no
control method during the month they
FACT: Add to this the fact that at most,
7% of all abortions are done
for the mother's physical or psychological health. Rape and incest are cited as reasons for less than 1% of all abortions.
FACT: Nationally, 82% of women obtaining abortions are unmarried. The statistics strongly suggest abortion is used as birth control.
3. Myth: No one knows when human life begins.
FACT: The California Medical Association referred to "The scientific fact, which everyone really knows, that human life begins at conception, and is continuous whether intra- or extra-uterine until death."
4. Myth: Abortion is an unfortunate necessity and doesn't happen often.
FACT: 1.6 million abortions take place each year in the United States. Nearly one in three pregnancies ends in abortion.
5. Myth: We need abortion to reduce child abuse. Wanted children will not become abused children.
FACT: Abortion has done nothing to
abuse. Child abuse increased
500% from 1973, the year abortion was legalized throughout the U.S. , to 1986.
6. Myth: The typical abortive woman is a poor, black teen.
FACT: Two thirds of women getting
are between the ages of 20 and 24.
68% are white. Two thirds have an annual income of over $11,0000
7. Myth: God has not judged abortion.
FACT: "Thou shalt not kill." (Exodus 20:13)